[duxhelp] Re: Password Protected Documents

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:38:10 -0400

Jack,

Don't worry about us programmers.  Everybody testing has kept a very
positive attitude, and the result is that we've been helped a great deal.
We cannot ask for more than that.

Microsoft requires that third party developers sign up through a web page
that verifies their identity.  Crash reports are then available for download
at a secure site.  The point is not to allow potentially damaging
information out to our competitors or to the public at large.  Many
companies are more sensitive than we are about this sort of thing.

The average user was presumably very much on the mind of people at Microsoft
when they created the crash report submission process for Windows XP.  In
truth, for a person with a full-time internet connection, it takes only
about 1-2 seconds additional to report a crash; it's entirely automated.
The real problem for Microsoft is presumably a matter of consumer trust that
the information really is non-identifiable and to be used only for the
stated purpose.  My own initial suspicions about this have been put to rest,
so I generally recommend following through on the crash reporting prompt.