[duxhelp] Re: Password Protected Documents

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:39:25 -0400

In addition to DBT giving the message number 714, Have DBT tell you
why the import could not be completed, for example:

"error 714, the import of [FileName] cannot be completed because the
file has been password protected in Microsoft Word.  To correct the
problem, open the file in Microsoft Word, remove the password
protection, save the file, exit Microsoft Word, and try importing the
file into DBT again."

One of the things that really ticks me off about Windows programs
today, is that they come up with weird and wonderful error messages
that tell you something is wrong but, the programmers of these
programs omit to tell you what the message means, e.g. the Windows
error message "This program has performed an illegal operation and
will be shut down."

The trouble with non-explanatory messages such as this message is,
that when they keep popping up, you have know idea what is causing
them and therefore you have know idea how to fix the problem.  Another
difficulty is that when you explain what is happening to someone in a
company's Technical Support team, they also don't usually have a clue
as to what is happening and therefore cannot tell you the solution in
order that you may possibly can fix the problem.

So, DBT programmers, include as much information about DBT error
messages as possible!  Please!

Sincerely:

Dave Durber