[bksvol-discuss] Re: OK, gang, got a weird one!

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:18:41 -0700

Hi, Ann, you probably know that samurai culture, although involving the use
of politeness to one's social equals or superiors, never felt the need to be
polite to one's social inferiors. However, that being said, since one speaks
obliquely and not directly, there must be subtle methods to hint of one's
true feelings for another person. You must be polite to the gai-jin while
secretly thinking he or she is a barbarian compared to you, and after the
fool is under the impression you like him/her when you'd rather not have
anything to do with him/her. To top it off, he/she can't read that you
despise him/her, ergo, gai-jin are foolish. I'm thinking that there may be a
down side to this politeness if one dare not allow oneself to feel or even
acknowledge or express one's true emotions. I'm sure you've heard of people
who are repressed. Mind you, I don't have answers for this, I'm just playing
devil's advocate to some degree. I think I would agree with you but with
qualifications. Maybe I'm betwixt and between on the subject of politeness.
This is a rather fun topic to hash out, and it is getting off topic for the
list, so Ann, if you wish to email me off list, who knows what discussions
we could get up to. Do let me know. Regards, Kim.