[bksvol-discuss] Re: OK, gang, got a weird one!

  • From: "Donna Goodin" <goodindo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:40:33 -0400

You are absolutely correct Roger.

My doctoral specialization was in medieval Spanish.  What happened was that
what today would be a b in a word like “estaaba” would have often been written
as “estava”—remember that during that time, spelling was not uniform.  This is
very complicated, because in Spanish the V and the B sounds are not as
dissimilar as they are in English.  Even today, Spanish speakers who are poorly
educated use V instead of B.  What happened in early modern times, was that
texts were copied by scribes.  So, in addition to spelling variants, the simple
differences in one’s hand-writing would make it fairly easy for a V to seem
more like a U, especially to a scanner, in a situation where a modern-day
printing is trying to duplicate antique script.

So, when I was citing these texts in my dissertation, my sighted faculty could
always tell the difference.  Hence what I said earlier about applying
dissertation rules.

Cheers,

Donna