[bksvol-discuss] Re: OK, gang, got a weird one!

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:20:10 -0700

Hi, Ann, Kim here. Just for the sake of my curiosity, did you ever major or
take classes in cultural anthropology? I ask this because your comments
sound rather familiar to me as I received a B.S. in cultural anthropology at
one time. You've probably heard stories of how members of the Society of
Friends (known as Quakers by outsiders and non-members) were persecuted
because they claim that people are equal in the sight of God, ergo, using
the informal language to address people (using thee, thy, and thou for one
person and you to indicate more than one person, but not superiority in
social status). I'm of two minds about your comments concerning courtesy. I
would prefer honesty with politeness, not courtesy with hypocrisy. Let's see
if I can make myself clear. I am not a game player. If you like me, I hope
you actually do, rather than pretending you do. That being said, I do agree
we should treat each other with civility, insofar as we know what that is.
If I'm acting like a first-class jerk to you, you can very civilly tell me
you have no intention of putting up with my horrid behavior and you can
suggest I mend my ways or go play on the freeway or some other statement. I
prefer to know where I stand with people. How many times have you known
someone who you are sure is a best friend of yours, only to discover he/she
can't stand you at all? The real nub of the matter is this: if you wish
people to behave with civility and courtesy, this will only be achieved by
parents, teachers, employers, any human being for that matter, leading by
example. If you don't wish your child to use profanity, don't swear in
his/her presence. If you wish your child to be courteous, you must practice
courtesy. We have our society saying that people will get promoted by
behaving honestly, but we hear about people being praised for their
ruthlessness and sharp dealing. Talk about double messages! Enough of the
rant. Take care and best regards, Kim.