[bksvol-discuss] Re: OK, gang, got a weird one!

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 07:55:45 -0400

Hi all,

I suppose I should take this off list, but the subject of words and how they
are used fascinates me, and well, I'm just continuing this thread.

No, Kim, I didn't get a degree in anthropology, though I think I took one or
two courses back when I was in college.  I've had a long-standing interest in
the subject, read Mead and so on.  I've always been interested in different
peoples and how they view the world.  I guess I've just picked up a fair amount
of anthropological facts as I've been passing through.

I agree that I'd prefer people to actually like me, but I think there is
something to be said for the Japanese strict code of courtesy in addressing
other people.  It can avoid problems.  <smiling>  If I don't like a person, I
will tend to either ignore them or be extremely polite, overly polite.

Ann P.

--
AAnn K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT