atw: Re: Should we give the users what they want?

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:46:45 +1100

Stuart,

That's not too bad a summary of my initial point, although it is not a
"couple" of studies. There are a lot of them. I listed just a couple,
because I was providing an argument, not a bibliography.

You might argue that my conclusion is sensible but unexceptional. I agree,
except that there are folks in our profession who are exhorting us to
abandon this or that media on the grounds that the younger generation prefer
other media. This is not, as you implied yesterday, a straw-man argument.
Read the latest issue of Southern Communicator and you see what prompted by
initial post. This is a view I disagree with and I was attempting, with
yesterday's post, to gauge the views of others.

The issue on which we disagree is of no direct relevance. I might think that
comprehension, to some degree, must always precede performance (however
effective or ineffective). You jump straight to performance (and Christine
went straight for learning outcomes). But the real goal of my second
question yesterday was to see if any in our profession is using a formula,
algorithm or whatever to determine which media is better than some other
medium given such-and-such circumstances whatever the measure of best might
be: comprehension, performance, learning outcomes and so on. I hadn't come
across any myself, or at least any with the backing of scientific rigor; but
if others knew of one or more, then it would be good to share the
information. Because without any such formula, algorithm or whatever, the
choice of one medium over another comes down to what? Subjectivity?
Gut-feel? Reader preferences? The demands of lawyers? The fad-of-the-month
peddled by the marketing department?

Moreover, it would mean that the technology evangelists who are exhorting us
to adopt the media that the young prefer (wikis, mash-ups, podcasts etc) are
also basing their exhortations on non-scientific grounds. Don't get me
wrong: I am just as excited as any other technical writer about new media. I
just want to see the evidence that we will at least maintain, and certainly
not lower, our readers ability to understand our materials if we embrace
some such new media.

So to summarise my postings of yesterday: contrary to the technology
evangelists who are insisting that technical writers "must adapt" to the
media preferences of the younger generation:

1.      There are reasons why the media preferences of our users (young,
middle-aged or old) should not always be the deciding factor in our choice
of media.
2.      There seems to be no scientific justification for preferring one
medium over another (new or old), or at least scientific justification based
on comprehension or performance. (The exception seems to be the numerous
studies that show that paper out-performs online, under many situations. But
are there studies that show that wikis out-perform online help? That
podcasts out-perform printed user guides? And so on and so on.)

I'm hoping that point 2 is wrong, and that someone on the list can point me
to one or more studies that do justify a choice of one medium over others
(ceteris paribus and all that). But until such studies are known, I for one
are not going to yet too anxious about new media. And wouldn't it be
splendid if we could give users every form of media we could think of (as
some correspondents are saying or implying). But the reality of budgets and
deadlines invariably means that we can offer only limited media. I would
love to be confident that the media I have chosen is best for my readers,
and confidence only comes with scientific rigor.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd