atw: Re: Should we give the users what they want?

  • From: "Christine Kent" <christine_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:39:15 +1100

Oh dear, you are still point fingers at one another and being disrespectful
of difference of opinion.  It is unbecoming, but definitely a sign of our
times.  (Let those who have ears, hear.)

I have to agree with you Tony.  I have stayed out of phase 2 of this debate
because no-one seemed to grasp why I thought Geoff's question was invalid.
It is along these same lines.  We have bigger fish to fry.

I have absolutely no doubt that we are going through a paradigm shift.  I
have been doing my darnedest to stay in tune with what it is by getting on
to Facebook (the value of which is now apparent to me) and Twitter (the
value of which still eludes me) and doing lots of other Web 2.0 things.   I
am not doing this to be fashionable, or to pretend to be young, but to stay
employable and useful into my old age.

I think it is like a major, tectonic plate shifting, earthquake - we have no
idea what the final new configuration will look like till things stop
shifting - all we can do for now is keep our balance, and avoid wasting our
energy trying to stop the earthquake.

I also have absolutely no doubt that our corporate world is teetering in
sympathy with the banks and insurance companies, and everything else that is
teetering.  I suspect there will be massive changes made to the world of
work in the next few years, with or without us.  Again, though, I have no
crystal ball (or at least, it aint showing me this) to know what it will
look like when it happens.

So the only positive thing I can do is keep myself flexible so that I can
adapt readily to change and not be overwhelmed by it.  This means I also
avoid wasting time trying to shore up the "ancien regime" when it is already
dead as a dodo.  Any grammatical or linguistic rules I apply, I apply
because it suits me or my readership, not because it is "right".  Right is
currently a very rapidly moving target indeed.

That being said, to my perceptions, a lot of what is happening currently IS
asinine, but I will allow the possibility that I am the one whose thinking
is out of tune with the changes.  However, I don't think this IS an age
thing.  It's a Zeitgeist thing - its just incidental that one person is
young and another is old - at these times.

Christine