atw: Re: Should we give the users what they want?

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:03:41 +1100

Brian Clarke:
You wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> I do believe that you are falling into the trap that many first year
> undergraduates in
> the social sciences fall into, of thinking that statistics tells us what to
> do. The
> adage I used was:
> Just because something is, does not mean it ought to be.
>
> When I was a child, I spelled as a child. But, now we are grown up. We have
> learned how
> to make lasting, adult choices, based on adult criteria. My choice is for the
> richness
> that is English - not the Krap that is used by some unknown percentage of
> would-be-
> fashionable children. Noise by the few does not equal power to the people.
> Some of
> these children may grow up - and some may actually make adult choices, too.

And of course, if your name were to be Geoffrey Chaucer, having made such an
adult decision,

whan that ye sholde speke and eek spelle in swich gyse, what may bifalle

is that everyone you speak to in tyme starts to look a wee bit puzzled, which
sorta buggers that up a bit.  :-)

-Peter M
 peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx