[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:20:32 -0600

I pray you are content in your spirit and your heart.

Historically being in the presence of the gods has suggested a dangerous rendezvous for human kind. The further we look back into antiquity, the more hazardous this encounter appears to have been perceived. Events like earthquakes and volcanoes, hail storms and wind torrents, lightening and thunder all prompted human creatures to take cover and fear for their safety. These kinds of disturbances were likely to have been interpreted as a consequence of the anger of superhuman agencies who were offended by actions initiated by mortal creatures. Even unintentional irreverence could produce incidents of the gods lashing out indiscriminately against humans. Today, because we have come to understand something of the causes for these violent outbursts in nature, we feel less terrified that they might signal some careless affront to the presence of divine beings—angels and the creator God. Still we may feel a certain peculiarity when we sense that we are very near to God. And perhaps this humbling recognition serves to cause us to honor and respect more profoundly the divine intention for our presence in the creation. Yet, there seems to be an emerging invitation from God that we discover the comfort and joy which results when our pursuits and those of the creator God are integrated.

The scriptures we will consider this next Sunday are Isaiah 6:1-13; Luke 5:1-11, and 1 Corinthians 15:1-11. Thoughts prompted by these passages will compose the sermon, 'Wondering into the divine presence.'

We will share in communion during this service and join together for our community meal following the worship service.

May it go well with you. sincerely,