[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:24:27 -0600

I pray you are well and content in your spirit.

Daylight Savings Time begins this weekend.  Spring forward by setting clocks
ahead on Saturday evening.

A great deal of unstableness occurs whenever the messages we communicate to
each other are not characterized by honesty.  Being able to predict how
persons will relate to us may be the most important element in a meaningful
and fulfilling relationship.  In order for humans to coexist in harmony we
must be able to believe that what we are being told about a certain issue or
position represents accurately the facts that define the situation limited
only by what can be known at the precise moment of the discussion.  And yet
it seems that the practice of withholding a portion of what is known or
deliberately misrepresenting the facts occurs often in our culture.
Whenever we analyze what we are told and compare this with what we observe
in the actions of those who share supporting information with us, there
often seems to be an inconsistency.  If persons say they are working for
peace and then create disruption and chaos, there appears to be a disconnect
with what they are saying and what they are doing.  Even if someone swears
adamantly that they are really committed to promoting respectful
relationship, whenever they act in ways that contradict their claims
confusion and suspicion prevail.  Jesus cautions us to orient ourselves to
honest communication to avoid being implicated with evil.  These thoughts
will compose the reflection from the Sermon on the Mount for this next
Sunday, 'Application 3:  Oaths and truthfulness.'