[amc] Re: a note from the pastor

  • From: "Nevitt D. Reesor" <reesor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:29:03 -0600

… a shamelessly provocative response from Nietzsche to one of the schools of thought you mention below:

I want to speak to the despisers of the body. I would not have them learn and teach differently, but merely say farewell to their own bodies—and thus become silent.

"Body am I, and soul"—thus speaks the child. And why should one not speak like children?

But the awakened and knowing say: body am I entirely, and nothing else; and soul is only a word for something about the body.
The body is a great reason, a plurality with one sense, a war and a peace, a herd and a shepherd. An instrument of your body is also your little reason, My brother, which you call "spirit”—a little instrument and toy of your great reason.

from Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Nevitt

On Feb 10, 2006, at 2:12 PM, garland robertson wrote:

I trust you are renewed in your spirit as you continue your journey of faith.

The quest to determine how our physical reality relates to the spiritual dimension reaches far back into antiquity. Extreme variations in attitudes about how spirit and matter impact each other has produced an astonishing display of behaviors. In religious contexts, the subject primarily is discussed as a consequence of the association of ‘spirit’ and ‘flesh’ which defines the human creature. Ancient explanations regard the human as a combination of these two distinct elements. In the Genesis account, spirit and flesh unite to compose the ‘soul’ of the human which God created in the divine image. Many persons have sensed that this composition establishes an unresolved duality of good and evil. The primordial incompatibility of spirit and flesh requires the faithful to war against the evil flesh in order to live in union with God. Others maintain that the spirit and the flesh coexist in harmony. Any disruption that arises for the human originates from sources removed from the spirit-flesh dynamic How have religious teachings influenced your attitude about God’s intention for uniting spirit and flesh? What is the perspective which seems to be the understanding of Jesus as he preached the good news and ministered to distressed persons ? These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday, “The prose of spirit and flesh.”

May it go well with you. Sincerely,

Garland Robertson

...always hold firmly to the thought that each one of us can do something to bring some portion of misery to an end