[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:52:55 -0600

I trust you are finding occasion to give thanks to God during these days
punctuated with both joy and sadness.

Sometimes we have wonderful experiences characterized by pleasing and
enriching surprises.  During apparently routine procedures or when
journeying into previously unknown territories it is possible to happen upon
an unexpected, refreshing discovery.  Have you ever been working with a
seemingly insignificant item, cleaning or repairing some portion of it and
uncovered a rare treasure;  .perhaps taking paint off an old rickety piece
of furniture and learning of its exceeding value; or digging in a proposed
garden spot and finding a native artifact of unusual quality and
ornamentation?  These are indeed gratifying, even elating occasions, and
soon we find ourselves sharing these details with both family and friends.
In the course of our discipleship, these same kind of occurrences happen for
us.  Eventually we begin to see manifestations and understand intentions
associated with the life and teachings of Jesus that we before missed
because they were obstructed by our presuppositions and spiritual
immaturity.   Finding a way to incorporate these discoveries into our
lifestyle becomes an essential discipline if we are to be faithful as a
Christian community in our witness to the glory--the identity--of God.
These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday, 'Exposing the
glory of Jesus.'