[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:33:12 -0600

I pray you are refreshed by the days that have been prepared for us.

As with other observations throughout history human creatures today find occasion for sensing both joy and distress. Who can know how the intensity of these emotions which we experience compares with those known by persons who have lived before us, in another era of time? Often it seems we become overwhelmed by incidents across our earth that produce disruption and disturbance for people. Natural disasters, violent acts of assault and aggression, famine and illness that rob families of tranquility—all these characterize woes the human family must manage. And then there are the gifts of poetry, art, and acts of compassion that embrace the individual spirit, build relationship, and nurture inclusive community. The scriptures today speak about the necessity of restructuring human enterprises before the peaceful reign of God’s intention for the creation can be realized. Because of the extent that systems of injustice and disrespect are embedded into our societies, this transformation will appear to us as disorder—a pattern of activity strikingly different from that with which we are familiar. Yet the promise that the divine intention will be fulfilled can help us look beyond the confusion and pain toward the coming of God’s unfolding creation of peace. * *

The scriptures suggested for next Sunday are Daniel 12:1-3, Mark 13:1-8, and Hebrews 10:11-25. Thoughts prompted by these passages will compose the sermon, 'The evolution of community.'

May it go well with you. Sincerely,