[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:44:00 -0600

I pray you are experiencing comfort and joy as you live through these days
of hope.

Advent unfolds and so do our anticipations of the unfolding purpose of God.
A common response to our visions for the future involves applying the
entirety of our potential toward fulfilling these dreams.  We naturally
conclude that if the power lies within our control, we have justification to
use it--if a thing can be done to further our cause, then we have permission
to proceed.  And yet, however lofty our ambitions may be, we believe we must
not violate the pattern of life that is foundational to our relationship
with Jesus.  We also believe that nothing is impossible for God.  When we
are pone to be impatient with the pace of God's progression toward
redemption, we can remember there may be similar concerns within the mind of
God which we cannot comprehend.  Just as tropical orchids grow attached to
trees, we are invited to cling to a strong and unstoppable God as life
unfolds.  These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday, 'The
discipline of love.'