[access-uk] Re: Poor quality of equipment?

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 09:51:11 +0100

Hi Mike et al

I agree that the Cobolt tape-measure isn't great quality, nor the 12-minute
memo recorder now being sold by RNIB.  And there are probably other examples
like that if I sat and thought about them long enough.  But, in the main, I
would say that most assistive technology equipment is pretty reliable and
built for purpose.  I've had my PowerBraille display for eight years, for
instance, and it was second-hand when I got it.  My metal Dymo gun has had
years of use, yet still works well.  And my Perkins?  It's now 42 years of
age and as good as new.

I do agree that some of the gimmicky sounds and silly announcements on these
talking products patronise us, when a single audible beep to indicate the
thing is on or off would suffice.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns
J&M Work-Ability