[access-uk] Re: Poor quality of equipment?

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 20:37:20 +0100

Hi John - and all that said, it was such a horribly ugly brute, a sighted
friend said it looked like a museum piece.

My bank sent me 2 card readers recently, the ordinary one is smart and slim
line with nice buttons, the talking one is large, ugly in shape, and feels
cheap in build! It really doesn't have to be like this.

Andy
  Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:06 PM
  Subject: [access-uk] Re: Poor quality of equipment?

  Hi Andy, I'm with you on the crap quality of the PTR1. The battery wouldn't
hold a charge after six months, and there's very bad earthing noise on the mic
input, and the internal mic's total rubbish. When I managed to get an email for
Plextalk and emailed them re the interferrence on the mic input they said I
should use a different mic. I took their advice and tried one of the
microphones they suggested and it was no better. Apparently the problem,
according to a technician I had look at it is a badly shielded power supply. It
certainly wasn't worth the money, and wouldn't be worth it, given its defects
even for a quarter of the price.
                     John.