[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:03:52 -0500

I went down to the Horicon Marsh area for apples this morning at one
of the orchards along Hwy 49.  I ended up spending a good two hours
birding along 49 mainly.  Surprising was that the east pond from the
pumphouse has very limited water, making for excellent shorebird
habitat.  There were 12 species here plus 2 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES on
the east side of the pond across from the historic sign.  By the
pumphouse the shorebirds were 2 Black-bellied and 25 Am. Golden
Plovers, 2 Killdeer, 1 Greater Yellowlegs (but there was about 10 on
the Auto Tour), 60+ Lesser Yellowlegs, 5 Sanderling, 1 Semip and 1
Least Sandpiper, 1 White-rumped and 1 Baird's Sandpiper, 125 Pectoral
Sandpiper, 15 Stilt Sandpiper (initially there was only 2).  The
birds after some time took flight for no apparent reason and
continued uneasy for some time.  I came back later and several of the
above species were no longer present.
Three Trumpeter Swans were present; a Forster's Tern was feeding on
the north side of 49;  and when I returned about an hour later a SNOW
GOOSE (a sure sign of fall) was with Canadas on the aforementioned
east pond.  A Peregrine Falcon was cruising over the Auto Tour road.
Hundreds!!! of Tree Swallows were moving on both sides of 49.

It probably pays to check the 49 area, especially the south side, for
some time.  Good luck.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI