[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:04:02 -0500

Spent several hours early this morning birding parts of Horicon
Marsh.  On the Main Dike Rd there was a nice flock of Golden Plovers
(30+), 10+ Pectoral Sandpipers and single White-rumped, Baird's, and
Semip Sandpiper and a Killdeer.  There is better shorebird habitat
than there was during much of Sept.  However a scope would help as
most of the water is in the back portion.
The best bird of the marsh was a Nelson's Sparrow along the Main Dike
Rd.  It was seen between the 2nd and 3rd turnouts.

The usual waterfowl were seen along the Main Dike Rd and Hwy 49.  A
single Common Moorhen was on the north side of 49.

As I was leaving the marsh the flocks of Canadas returning to the
marsh contained a few Snow and Cackling Geese.

I tallied about 65 species for the few hours I spent on the marsh.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI