[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 18:32:09 -0500

I spent a good part of this afternoon birding Horicon Marsh.  Nice to have it
open again!  The most activity was along Hwy 49 with ducks and geese on the
south side and shorebirds on the north side.  Shorebird totals were 27 Greater
Yellowlegs, 1 Marbled Godwit, 2 Avocets, 15+Semipalmated, 1 Least, 1
White-rumped, 1 Baird's and 30+ Pectoral Sandpipers.  Other interesting birds
included 15+ Tree Swallows (flying over the shorebird area), 2 Forster's Terns
along the Auto Tour, and 11 duck species including quite a few Canvasbacks and
Ring-necked Ducks.
In my yard in recent days I have had Fox and White-cr. Sparrows, plus many
White-throated Sparrows and some juncos, plus the usual.  On Monday & Tuesday a
Purple Finch visited my feeders (the first I have had in the yard this year).
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI