[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Dave Freriks <dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:22:30 -0500

   For anyone that has the time I would definitely recommend a trip to Horicon
Marsh. I have spent a few hours there the past few mornings before heading into
work and the action has been incredible. I don't think I have ever seen so many
Egrets/Herons there as are there right now. I counted over 200 on one pond
along the auto tour route. There were about the same number on another pond on
the route and probably at least as many along Hwy. 49. Mostly Great Egrets with
a good mix of Great Herons and at least 2 probably 3 or 4 Snowy Egrets along
Hwy 49 ( 2 on the North Side near the East end yesterday and another 2 sighted
today on the west end shortly after seeing one on the East End) Hundreds of
Pelicans as well.... very interesting watching the Pelicans feed in mass and
the Egrets moving along with them to catch the fish stirred up by the Pelicans.
Lots of Sandhills flying out of the marsh at sunup over on the east side off of
County Rd. Z. Many of both Yellowlegs and a few Wilson's Snipe scattered all
over. Also good numbers of migrating passerines along the auto route.    Early
morning is the best viewing and I have never seen everything so close to the
road as they have been the past few days. Binoculars not needed a lot of the
time. I'll post some photos in a few days after I find some to do some editing.

Dave FreriksChesapeake OH/ SE Ohio