[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 13:26:19 -0500

I spent this morning birding Horicon Marsh, with a quick side trip to the
Breezy Pt/Jersey ponds at the end.  Highlights from the marsh included TWO
Whooping Cranes near the junction of Point and Ledge Rds.  Great looks, even
after they flew out into the marsh.  A Bobwhite was along the Main Dike Rd,
just before the gate onto the dike.  A Black-necked Stilt was feeding at the
Point Rd pond (south of Ledge Rd), but an hour later when I drove by it was not
present.
And last, at the Breezy Pt/151 pond (north side) I was surprised to find a
young male BUFFLEHEAD along with a few Shovelers and many Mallards.  There is a
lot of water in the fields in the Horicon Marsh area.  If this holds, it should
attract the fall migrating shorebirds, which could be starting within the
week----and summer officially just started today.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI