[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Paul Sparks <paul.sparks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:26:57 -0600

I got up early this morning and headed up to Horicon to see if I could see
the Short-eared Owls on Dike Rd. I got there about a half hour before
sunrise and immediately saw two flying over the road. They continued for
several minutes and disappeared right before there was enough light to
photograph them. There were lots of Sandhill Cranes taking off shortly after
the sun came up and Northern Harriers soon after that. There was a raptor in
a tree at the end of Dike Rd that I'm having trouble IDing. The angle was
bad and the light was tricky.
There are two photos here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookguy/4163337685/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookguy/4164097122/

Any help on the ID is appreciated.

There was a Double-crested Cormorant on the south side of 49 and a River
Otter sitting on the ice eating breakfast close by;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookguy/4164097480/

I did have a cooperative Red-tailed Hawk on the way home;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookguy/4164097988/

The only other birds of note were a single American Kestrel and a few
American Tree Sparrows.

Paul Sparks
Glendale, Milwaukee County