[windows2000] Re: MS Messenger

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:49:03 -0500

There used to be Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger, which were quite
similar to each other, so it seemed. The main difference was that MSN
Messenger was meant for ordinary home users, while Windows Messenger was
supposed to be more of a corporate thing, that while it could IM over the
Internet like MSN Messenger, it could also tie into Exchange running
messenging services.  (I believe this no longer exists, however.)  As far as
the "Live" Messenger, it's just MSN Messenger with Microsoft's latest
buzzword.  That's my take on it, anyway.  Where I work, that is the standard
IM protocol to use, and I ran Live Messenger for a week or two.  It was
fine, but it was still too annoying, so I went back to what I've been using
for years - Trillian.  Trillian's another one that supports multiple
protocols (MSN, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, and a nice auto-LAN IM thing).  It's not
necessarily better than GAIM or anything else that might exist.  It's just
what I'm used to, and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to deal with
all the sensory overload apps like Live Messenger and ICQ.

Am I correct in assuming that your employees should be able to IM outside of
your LAN?  If not, another nice LAN-based messenger is Tonic from R2
Studios, http://www.r2.com.au/.  What I like most about this is that you can
find offensive pictures on the Internet and then IM them to your coworkers
while there are other people sitting at their desks.

Ray at work