[windows2000] Re: MS Messenger

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:01:37 +0100

Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com <> wrote on Friday, March 09, 2007 6:45 PM:

Dunno' about that. Feels like Google would index everything and send back the
info to Google HQ. Some of the data that would be used here is secret and/or
confidential, so this is a no-no.

For what it's worth, I tested out the jabber protocol with gaim this weekend
with a friend in Norway (I'm in Sweden), and we found that it does indeed
support group chats, but rather *typing* group chats, not *voice*-chats, so
there goes that solution down the drain...

Live Messenger works fine person-to-person, but groups are still not supported
(will they ever??), and also seem to take a lot of cpu-power. At least it did
for the norwegian friend. I didn't see this on my box, but he used wifi. Maybe
it's that...

While we, and the other friends in our loosely knit clan of weekend-warriors,
also wanted to play Ghost Recon over the internet and needed some kind of
comms while doing it, we also tried out Teamspeak, which worked tremendously
(voice activation rocks!) good after clearing all the gotchas' (open UDP 8767
on both sides), which is not mentioned in the teamspeak FAQs... Teamspeak
however is not very business-like, doesn't support video or desktop sharing
etc and nobody knows where the traffic goes, so for confidential meetings it's
maybe not the first choice. For gaming however it totally rules!

So all in all (so far) only Marratech does what we want, while Live Messenger
does it as well, but only one-to-one. 8-/

> I would get GMAIL for your domain which has built in IM.  Gmail also
> archives all chats. Jim
>

> On 3/8/07, Sorin Srbu < sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:
>
>       Hi all,
>
>       Due to popular demand at our department (and the boss pressing me on
it...)
>       I've taken up testing out this new-fangled thing called Instant
Messaging
>       (IM).
>
>       First I looked at was MSN Messenger v7.5, which looks ok, but it's
>       chockfull of ads and other irritating stuff. Then found on Wikipedia
>       there's a Live Messenger v8beta (haven't tried it yet). Yet another
I've
>       found and that looks interesting is Gaim, capable of several
protocols,
>       including Jabber which apparentely supports group conferences,
something
> Messenger does not AFAIK.
>
>       I'm a bit confused though about MS Messenger. I don't quite see the
>       difference between them. Anybody care to explain this to me? Or point
me
>       to good place for this.
>
>       Otherwise, anything or any gotchas' I should be aware of when dealing
with
>       IM (except for viruses and stuff)?
>
>       TIA.
>

>       BW,
>
>       Sorin
>
>       # Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer  Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
>       # Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals>
GSM