[windows2000] Re: MS Messenger

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:51:21 +0100

Greg Reese <> wrote on Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:20 PM:

We don't. Only have MS RDP and mainly for adminning and some of the bosses and
upper managment to connect to their own desktops from home.

The university as such has licensed Marratech for virtual video/voice
conferencing, shared docs and stuff like that, which is available for free for
us. Disadvantage is that most entities outside the university block the ports
needed for it and are reluctant, or plain refuse, to change that. I was under
the impression that Marratech was big... Oh, well...

> Based on those needs Sorin, sharing docs etc, Citrix Conferencing manager
> might do the trick.  If you have Citrix running somewhere, then you should
> be licensed for it.
>
> Greg
>

> On 3/8/07, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>       Ray Costanzo <> wrote on Thursday, March 08, 2007 1:49 PM:
>
>       Not my employees, my users! Anyway, I dun't really know what they
want,
>       all I hear is "we want Messenger!". I assume this is mainly for
>       intradeptartment, but can't rule out connecting to the outside just
yet.

>       As ever, this can't cost a penny. I assume R2 is commercial?
>
>       This all got started with my boss wanting to use Marratech to have a
>       vid-conference and sharing docs with an indian co-research colleaugue.
>       Turns out the indian it-dept didn't allow Marratech in or out through
their
>       firewalls, so that got botched. Skype seemed too insecure. The indian
guy
>       suggested googletalk, but I objected to that on the security part.
>
>       Then we settled on looking into something common like Messenger and
that's
>       where I am today.
>
>       Thx for your feedback, I appreciate that!
>

>       > There used to be Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger, which were
quite
>       > similar to each other, so it seemed. The main difference was that
MSN
>       > Messenger was meant for ordinary home users, while Windows Messenger
was
>       > supposed to be more of a corporate thing, that while it could IM
over the
>       > Internet like MSN Messenger, it could also tie into Exchange running
>       > messenging services.  (I believe this no longer exists, however.)
As
>       far as > the "Live" Messenger, it's just MSN Messenger with
Microsoft's
>       latest > buzzword.  That's my take on it, anyway.  Where I work, that
is
>       the standard > IM protocol to use, and I ran Live Messenger for a week
or
>       two.  It was > fine, but it was still too annoying, so I went back to
what
>       I've been using > for years - Trillian.  Trillian's another one that
>       supports multiple > protocols (MSN, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, and a nice
auto-LAN
>       IM thing).  It's not > necessarily better than GAIM or anything else
that
>       might exist.  It's just > what I'm used to, and I recommend it to
anyone
>       who doesn't want to deal with > all the sensory overload apps like
Live
>       Messenger and ICQ. >
>       > Am I correct in assuming that your employees should be able to IM
>       outside of > your LAN?  If not, another nice LAN-based messenger is
Tonic
>       from R2 > Studios, http://www.r2.com.au/.  What I like most about this
is
>       that you can > find offensive pictures on the Internet and then IM
them to
>       your coworkers > while there are other people sitting at their desks.
>       >
>       > Ray at work
>       >
Instant
>       Messaging >> (IM).
>       >>
>       >> First I looked at was MSN Messenger v7.5, which looks ok, but it's
>       >> chockfull of ads and other irritating stuff. Then found on
Wikipedia
>       >> there's a Live Messenger v8beta (haven't tried it yet). Yet another
I've