[windows2000] Re: MS Messenger

  • From: Berny Stapleton <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:22:02 -0000 (GMT)

My personal favourite for messenger solutions is a jabber based solution
which can connect out to the rest of the internet.

It's called Wildfire. It's free, open source, but it's dual licensed if
you want it to be a commercial solution too, it can be.

http://www.jivesoftware.org/wildfire/

I use it with the Pandion client.

http://www.pandion.be/

This gives you everything you want, I have written docs on it for a
previous version, and it does integrated authentication, can be controlled
by NT groups, has LDAP connections for connection back into Active
Directory. Personally, I think it's a great solution. I have implemented
Microsoft Live Communications Server, and this is equal in quality as far
as I am concerned. The only big thing that LCS does that Wildfire doesn't
do is logging straight into a SQL database. LCS also integrates into
Active Directory users and computers, but as far as I can see if the
helpdesk staff know what groups can be used for turning on Instant
Messaging, what more do you need?

Berny