[windows2000] Re: MS Messenger

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <ray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:08:57 -0500

Oh yeah.  :]

> Anyway, I dun't really know what they want,
> all I
> hear is "we want Messenger!". I assume this is mainly for
> intradeptartment,
> but can't rule out connecting to the outside just yet.

If there is not a policy in place now that does NOT forbid IM'ing out of the
network, then, yeah, you better get something that supports it.

> As ever, this can't cost a penny. I assume R2 is commercial?

Tonic is internal only, but it's free!

I think what you have to do is pick the service you want to use.  AIM, MSN,
ICQ, Google, Yahoo.  What else is out there?  Anyone?  And you have to
consider the implications of it all.  In a way ICQ is nice, because you can
just be a number instead of being an e-mail address.  The Microsoft thing
(Live, or whatever the service will be called next month) is most likely to
support business features, I'd think, like desktop sharing and what not,
whereas ICQ is more about having keyboard shortcuts for type "a/s/l?"  I'd
probably just go with Live Messenger.

Ray at work