[windows2000] MS Messenger

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:56:05 +0100

Hi all,

Due to popular demand at our department (and the boss pressing me on it...)
I've taken up testing out this new-fangled thing called Instant Messaging
(IM).

First I looked at was MSN Messenger v7.5, which looks ok, but it's chockfull
of ads and other irritating stuff. Then found on Wikipedia there's a Live
Messenger v8beta (haven't tried it yet). Yet another I've found and that looks
interesting is Gaim, capable of several protocols, including Jabber which
apparentely supports group conferences, something Messenger does not AFAIK.

I'm a bit confused though about MS Messenger. I don't quite see the difference
between them. Anybody care to explain this to me? Or point me to good place
for this.

Otherwise, anything or any gotchas' I should be aware of when dealing with IM
(except for viruses and stuff)?

TIA.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer  Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
# Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#