[triadtechtalk] Re: Tiny Personal Firewall

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:22:21 -0700

From: ElisabethM

> --from "ElisabethM" <elisam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> Hi Alan
>
> Alan wrote:
>  Could this possibly be your review of zone alarm?..
> > http://www.pcnineoneone.com/reviews/sw/zonealarm3.html
>
> Reply:
>
> It is indeed.  I have posted  to Alex today an addendum telling
> him how I have finally solved the uninstall prob.
>
> Regards
> Elisabeth

I have read your review, and I believe I may have found your problem with
ZoneAlarm.

You said,
"By saying "Yes" when ZA asks if I want Critical Updates Notification to
access the Internet, I believe I am giving it server rights."

This is incorrect. Open ZoneAlarm, and go to the Programs section. There are
two different permissions to set. One gives Internet access to the program,
the other server rights. You can give Internet access without granting
server rights, though not the other way around.

Additionally, the "Critical Updates Notification" is the wrong program. That
is the one that automatically checks with Microsoft to see if there are
updates, and informs you if there are. This is different than the Windows
Update website's ActiveX control that allows you to view updates.

This site works perfectly for me, and I use ZoneAlarm. I will have to check
the settings when I get home.

David Nasset, Sr.