[triadtechtalk] Re: Tiny Personal Firewall

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:49:20 -0500

> Izzit true that "hackers" tend to prefer
open-all-the-time-systems  like=
>  DSL and Cable for their mischief and a guy with
a 56K dialup wont even=
>  receive their entry attemps cause they ignore
connections unless they're=
>  FAST ?
> (naivete showing)

Well, I am not your average bear in the cyberspace
forest, but when I had dial-up only, I had no FW,
Cookie Monster or anything like that and was never
bothered with hackers, viruses or anything but
slooooooooow loading pages on the web, which is
why I decided to try cable as I was sick and tired
of waiting for sites and pages to load all the
time, but after getting the cable and noting all
the scares, I decided that I might ought to get
some protection, which I did and then the problems
started BIG TIME, and I was beginning to feel that
I should have stuck with my 56K since I was at
least able to get something done besides REBOOT!
; )  I have no answer as to why the protection
programs are not compatible with my system as I am
sure that there must be a reason, but until I
discover it, I will just take my chances that the
hackers, gremlins and the like will not like the
smell of my goat and just pass me by!
All the other programs installed on my system work
great and I have no intentions of getting rid of
any of them just to try and protect myself from a
boogy man that may never try to bother me to start
with!  Of course I keep my virus protection and do
not open ANY attachments unless I know WHO they
are from and even then I shoot an e-mail to them
prior to even opening THEM and ask them if they
did indeed send the attachment in question and
just for a egg sample, the other day I got such an
attachment from a friend in Africa and her reply
was that she did not send me any attachment or
even the e-mail that brought it to me, which was
indeed infected and was deleted without any harm
being done just by a wee bit of self preservation!
Of course, this is my tail, but you may wag yours
anywhichaway you wish!  ; )

.......clarence.......

.......clarence.......

> Yodar

> On 9/3/2001 at 9:52 AM cabehogan wrote:
>
> >> You will LIKE TPF it's totally transparent
(ie
> >you dont need to DO=3D
> >>  anything and dont know it's there, till
someone
> >pings)
> >> I LIKE it...it's idiot proof
> >> Yodar
> >
> >I am happy that you folks can use it without
> >getting many errors as I did, but since I
> >uninstalled ZA three times and TPF twice, I am
now
> >operating without errors so far on this rainy
day
> >in Tennessee!  ; )  I have now DL'd Sygate's
and
> >have it on my desktop, but I have not installed
it
> >as of yet to see if the errors have truly
ceased
> >FINALLY and I am almost afraid to install SPF
due
> >to all the problems that the other PF's have
> >caused!  I realize that I am not protected from
> >the hackers without a FW, but I am hoping that
> >they know better than to mess with my goat!
 ; )