[triadtechtalk] Re: Tiny Personal Firewall

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:05:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/2001 1:36:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
davisrb@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I have never downloaded anything from windowsupdate.com. Are these
> things free? If

Rebecca.... if you are using the windows update icon on your start menu you
wont have any problems getting any updates for your version of windows and
yes they are free.... BUT>>>. one update that most have problems with is the
one that automaticlly downloads and installs the updates as soon as you go on
line and a new update is available...I dont recommend that one as it can
cause confusion.... so just go online... scroll to the start menu and click
it and you should have an icon at the top of that list saying windows
update..... click it and it will take you right to the site you need and
there you will find some fairly easy to follow instructions as to find out
what up dates are needed and how to install them.... they get installed at
the time you donwload them and have a description of what each update
does...... there are a few other windows update sites available but they can
create mass confusion if you have slim knowledge of your operating system....
so best to simply use the one from the start menu.. it takes you right to the
site you need for the flavor of windows you have..... oh yes.. a word to
others who may have win95..... best start thinking of upgrading as MS will be
dropping support for win95 sometime next year..... there is a schedule I saw
where MS has listed its projected drop of support for other flavors of
Windows coming up in the next couple of years.....and when that occurs any
sort of updates will be slim to none for those versions.... and one more
word.. if you have windows 95  you will not be able to update to the new
winxp... and possibly your pc may be too far outdated to install it when this
time frame occurs... with winxp .. the newest version coming out oct25,2001
will update win 98,win98se,winME,win2000, but I am not sure of windows NT....
so it may pay to start thinking of machine upgrading very soon....   my
thoughts on  that..... Chuck.... in OK