[triadtechtalk] Re: Tiny Personal Firewall

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:38:32 -0500

> > I am happy that you folks can use it without
> > getting many errors as I did, but since I
> > uninstalled ZA three times and TPF twice, I am
now
> > operating without errors so far on this rainy
day
> > in Tennessee!  ; )  I have now DL'd Sygate's
and
> > have it on my desktop, but I have not
installed it
> > as of yet to see if the errors have truly
ceased
> > FINALLY and I am almost afraid to install SPF
due
> > to all the problems that the other PF's have
> > caused!  I realize that I am not protected
from
> > the hackers without a FW, but I am hoping that
> > they know better than to mess with my goat!
 ; )

> > .......clarence.......

> Actually, you probably are pretty safe from
hackers. Most hacker attacks
> require that you have certain points of
vulnerability. So long as you visit
> www.windowsupdate.com regularly, be careful
about what shareware/freeware
> you install, and your Control Panel>Network
settings don't show "Microsoft
> File and Printer Sharing", a firewall is usually
added protection, not
> necessary protection.

That was my feeling and since I have always
visited WU regularly (at least once a week) and
have always had F&PS disabled and never open
unknown attachments, I feel pretty safe!

> It is also important to remember that many
pieces of software that open
> potential vulnerabilities to the Internet cannot
both work through a
> firewall _and_ be protected at the same time. If
you share music on Napster,
> and discover that Napster opens your entire hard
drive to crackers (true at
> one point), you couldn't both share music and be
safe with any firewall I
> have found.

Correct and I never share anything on the web or
with others including Napster, but I thank you for
the additional info nonetheless!

.......clarence.......