[triadtechtalk] Re: Tiny Personal Firewall

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:00:21 -0700

From: cabehogan

> --from "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> > You will LIKE TPF it's totally transparent (ie
> you dont need to DO=
> >  anything and dont know it's there, till someone
> pings)
> > I LIKE it...it's idiot proof
> > Yodar
>
> I am happy that you folks can use it without
> getting many errors as I did, but since I
> uninstalled ZA three times and TPF twice, I am now
> operating without errors so far on this rainy day
> in Tennessee!  ; )  I have now DL'd Sygate's and
> have it on my desktop, but I have not installed it
> as of yet to see if the errors have truly ceased
> FINALLY and I am almost afraid to install SPF due
> to all the problems that the other PF's have
> caused!  I realize that I am not protected from
> the hackers without a FW, but I am hoping that
> they know better than to mess with my goat!  ; )
>
> .......clarence.......

Actually, you probably are pretty safe from hackers. Most hacker attacks
require that you have certain points of vulnerability. So long as you visit
www.windowsupdate.com regularly, be careful about what shareware/freeware
you install, and your Control Panel>Network settings don't show "Microsoft
File and Printer Sharing", a firewall is usually added protection, not
necessary protection.

It is also important to remember that many pieces of software that open
potential vulnerabilities to the Internet cannot both work through a
firewall _and_ be protected at the same time. If you share music on Napster,
and discover that Napster opens your entire hard drive to crackers (true at
one point), you couldn't both share music and be safe with any firewall I
have found.

David Nasset, Sr.