[triadtechtalk] Re: Tiny Personal Firewall

  • From: Rebecca Davis <davisrb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:42:49 -0500

David, I have never downloaded anything from windowsupdate.com. Are these
things free? If I go to the site and browse the catalog as it suggests,
should I feel comfortable to only download the things it suggests?  Rebecca

I realize that I am not protected from  the hackers without a FW, but I am
hoping that  they know better than to mess with my goat!  ; )
.......clarence.......

> Actually, you probably are pretty safe from hackers. Most hacker attacks
> require that you have certain points of vulnerability. So long as you
visit
> www.windowsupdate.com regularly, be careful about what shareware/freeware
> you install, and your Control Panel>Network settings don't show "Microsoft
> File and Printer Sharing", a firewall is usually added protection, not
> necessary protection.
>
> It is also important to remember that many pieces of software that open
> potential vulnerabilities to the Internet cannot both work through a
> firewall _and_ be protected at the same time. If you share music on
Napster,