[sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests

  • From: "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:50:36 -0800

Richard,
 I sent a note to Ben to pass onto Adrian.  I'm curious to see what he says.
To me
accelerometer data would be more accurate and higher sample rate.  I'm kind of
anal when it comes to accuracy.  I used to work making test equipment used to
test
government equipment. lol   Depending on what I find out will help me decide
which
altimeter to use.   While I like the Raven for the same money I can get the
EggTimer TRS
which also has GPS and tracking transmitter.  It just doesn't have
accelerometer.
The EggTimer is a kit but I've soldered this stuff many times so peace of cake.

Vendor  Model   Price   Kit     Max Alt Baro    Accel   Sample Rate
Resolution      LCD     PC      Outputs Config  GPS     Radio   Tele    OS
Datasheet
Featherweight   Raven 3 $ 155   $ 155   100,000 ✓       ✓       20hz/400hz
        -       ✓       4       Software        -       -       -       Win
only        Link
Eggtimer        TRS (DIY)       $ 90    $ 140   30,000  ✓       -       20hz
        ✓       ✓       2       Software        ✓       ✓       -       Win
only        Link

http://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/The_Raven.php
http://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page23.php

Then I may have to ask him about barometric resolution if baro is the way to
go.  From what I gather the Raven's accuracy is +/- .3% and the EggTimer is
like .01%.  Not sure how much that 30ft vs 1ft resolution will cause issues.

 I'm not in any rush until my stuff gets shipped to me in a couple of weeks for
the house.  I feel so naked without a house or anything. lol   This gives me
time to iron out what I need as far as altimeter.

 I'll be glad to see your results when you get around to it.

Michael

 Subject: [sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests
 To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 2:35 PM

 You've described the
 process and challenges nicely, Steve.

 It's been a while since I last harvested
 motor performance from flight
 computer data,
 but it can be done with, I expect, reasonable
 "engineering" accuracy. Timely
 discussion, as I plan to do this soon
 with
 my latest batch of flight test data.

 I recommend using the barometric, rather than
 accelerometer data,
 integrations (and all
 the other calcs) can be done relatively easily
 using a spreadsheet software. Adrian seems to
 have greater faith in
 the barometric data
 compared to accelerometer ( I fly the Raven3).

 Propellant mass as a function
 of time can be extracted from SRM.xls.

 With regard to drag coefficient (Cd), I use
 AeroLab to obtain this.
 AeroLab gives Cd as
 a function of mach number, which can be handy for
 higher velocity flights.

 Richard

 On
 Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Steve Peterson
 <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 > Michael,
 >
 > The basics: if you have position
 (altitude) with respect to time, then the
 > change in position over time is the
 velocity. The change in velocity with

 respect to time is acceleration. If you have the mass (at
 the same moment in
 > time that you've
 calculated the acceleration for, then rearrange Mr.
 > Newton's formula (F=ma) to get the net
 force. Any decent altimeter will give

 you altitude (to some precision/accuracy) vs. elapsed time
 (to some
 > precision/accuracy). After
 that is when the gremlins get you....

 > Altitude: change in
 altitude may not represent a true change in position
 > (that is, distance) because the rocket may
 be headed off at an angle. You
 > will
 have to either assume a certain angle of flight and
 calculate the true
 > distance, or assume
 that it flew vertically (in which case the change in
 > altitude is the change in distance).
 >
 > Mass: it isn't
 constant, so you'll have to calculate it based on the
 grain
 > geometry and your static tests,
 etc. I don't know if any of Richard's
 > spreadsheets list mass burned vs. time,
 but if they do, that would give you
 good start, assuming your manufacturing is under tight
 enough control.

 OK, so you've calculated F--but hang on, because
 that's *net* F. That is,
 > thrust
 minus the force of gravity and minus the force of drag. The
 force due
 > to gravity is just g*mass and
 we've already dealt with mass.

 However, the force due to drag is more problematic. As you
 know, it consists
 > of the Cd of the
 rocket (which will vary with velocity), the angle of
 > attack, atmospheric conditions (launch pad
 altitude, altitude of the rocket
 > at any
 instant in time, temperature, barometric pressure at launch,
 etc.)
 > and, of course, the square of the
 velocity.

 > Your
 question then becomes, will you know all that stuff with
 sufficient
 > accuracy to give you a
 meaningful result? And will your altitude be
 > accurate/precise enough to allow you to do
 all the math on it to get the

 acceleration with any kind of accuracy/precision?

 > From what I recall,
 the Featherweight altimeters are about the most
 > accurate/precise out there (although I
 would also check with the altus
 > metrum
 guys because I've read that their stuff is pretty darned
 good, too).
 > Both will record fast
 enough to get you data with short enough time
 > intervals. I know Adrian Adamson
 (Featherweight) has done a lot of study on
 > this--you might check the Featherweight
 forum and also over on TRF.

 > I should also mention that the
 Featherweight altimeters (or at least the
 > Raven), and possibly the altus metrum
 products, will also provide

 acceleration data so that you don't have to do the
 double differentiation to
 > calculate
 acceleration from altitude. I haven't looked into how
 > accurate/precise it is, however. But you
 still have to know the atmospheric
 > info
 and the aerodynamics of your rocket--and those two are
 usually the
 > killers.
 >
 > A lot of people have
 looked into doing this and, as I recall, very few have
 > managed to come up with anything that was
 very persuasive (and they were
 > using
 commercial motors), although I am certainly no expert on
 this stuff.
 > It's pretty easy
 (especially if you can program) to simulate a few data
 > points and do the calcs to see what you
 come up with. Munge the altitude
 > data a
 bit to simulate inaccuracies and see how much it throws off
 your
 > answer. Vary the Cd by .1, .2, .3
 or so and see what happens. Etc etc.

 You'll soon get a feel for just how hard this is.

 > --Steve
 >
 > On 02/15/2015 10:17
 AM, Michael Monteith (Redacted sender

 michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx
 for DMARC) wrote:

 >>   I hope this isn't off
 topic as it has to do with verifying motor
 >> performance really.  I was thinking
 on what I would need to verify rocket
 >> motor performance during a flight
 test.  So I was thinking of what would be
 >> the requirements to gather the data in
 flight.  There is so many altimeters
 >> and ranges of price.  Some show they
 output thrust time.  But not sure

 exactly if it's what I'm thinking it is or I'd
 be better off getting one
 >> cheaper
 and calculating it.
 >> http://data.rocketsetc.com/altimeter_data.html
 >>
 >>   So to my question.  What
 data is required and how fast?   I see all the
 >> thrust curves for static testing but
 trying to figure out how you backtrack
 >> and figure from a flight test what the
 thrust curve is for comparison?  This
 >> is what I want to arrive at, a thrust
 curve for flight test vs thrust curve
 >> on static testing.
 >>
 >> My initial
 guess is at least having time and altitude and having
 rocket
 >> mass etc.  From there you
 can calculate acceleration etc and arrive at
 >> thrust.  I don't want to think of
 the formula right now for this.  It might
 >> be in my pile of books but those are
 boxed up in Missouri and won't see them
 >> for about a month now.  But don't
 recall anything like that.

 >>   I figured I might as well
 buy the right recording altimeter to begin
 >> with.  I don't mind spending the
 money but only if I do it preferably once
 >> and right.  Specifically the right
 data, accurate, and the right speed.  I
 >> think the more time I spent on it the
 more confused I was with all the

 options on them all.  At least until I know the bare
 minimum.   I don't know
 >> if anyone has gone down this road or
 not. I saw Richard made mention on one
 >> of his pages that it was something for