[sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests

  • From: "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:05:57 -0800

Steve,

  I actually didn't want to post it here as it was kind of off topic in the
sense it wasn't
sugar propellants in the strict sense but it is in the sense of measuring
results.  I
forgot to take out the group email and put Richards in it so we could discuss
his
findings.  But that's okay as long as others don't mind.  I hate you can't
un-send. lol

  But glad I did in a way too.   I think your last statement sums it up.  It's
fun and we
 learn a lot from it.

 Hey, if I don't like the limitations of the instrumentation I can build bigger
and better.
Been there, done that too.  Guess if nothing else it will give me an excuse to
work
more with my Arduino boards. I'm used to digging through datasheets as sometimes
 that's the best way to find what is ideal for your specific use.   Guess I'll
have to find
out from the 2 altimeters I'm looking at which specific parts they use.

 For this part going in I just needed more of personal experience and what
others have
already done to at least start off with and an altimeter setup that would
suffice.
I love the fact EggTimer TRS  has gps and radio for tracking and for that price
I get
 altimeter and tracking. Except I won't have accelerometer.  Then with the
raven I have
 baro and accel but lose gps and radio.  If I had the money I'd just go with
the Altus but
I love my marriage thanks. I'm much better off with a little here and there.

 Hey, if I have to do a tethered balloon to obtain comparison data it might be
the way to go
actually.  I'd like to see that report you're talking about.

 Discouraged?  No Way.  Challenged? Great!  Never know what might become of
it..  Nothing
if I don't try.

Michael

 Subject: [sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests
 To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Monday, February 23, 2015, 2:23 PM

 On 02/23/2015 09:50 AM,
 Michael Monteith (Redacted sender
 michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx
 for DMARC) wrote:
 >    I'm kind
 of
 > anal when it comes to accuracy.
 Oh dear, madness lies in this direction...
 :-)

 As a test equipment
 guy, you know the difference between accuracy and
 precision (or resolution). And you probably
 also know about error
 budgets. So
 you're going to have to just slog through some math to

 decide just how much resolution and
 accuracy you're going to need in
 your
 test instruments (altimeter) to determine the motor thrust
 curve
 with the accuracy and resolution you
 desire.

 That will help
 decide whether 30 ft or 1 ft resolution is required in
 your altimeter. However it ignores the
 altimeter's *accuracy* which
 probably
 won't be anywhere near that. For instance if you get one

 altitude measurement of 100 feet with 1 ft
 resolution and when the
 altitude was really
 200 feet, then you get another altitude measurement
 of 500 feet with 1 ft resolution and the
 altitude is really 300 feet,
 your velocity
 data will be quite different from what it should have
 been.

 The best you can do
 is read the datasheets for the pressure sensor and
 the accelerometers that are used, then study
 the atmosphere a bit, then
 do some math.
 Then give up :-)

 One of the
 problems (almost always ignored by folks) is that when we

 convert pressure to altitude we assume that
 the air over our launch site
 follows the
 atmospheric model of such-and-such a year. I think the
 latest was 1976 or something (it's been a
 while since I looked into this
 for drag
 calculations). The obvious problems are local temperature
 and
 pressure, but you can (in theory)
 correct for this. However, even after
 those
 corrections, it turns out that the atmosphere's *rate of
 change*
 in pressure vs. altitude even for a
 given location is not constant over
 time
 and doesn't match the "standard day"
 model--weather balloons are
 launched daily
 that measure this (among other things) and you can get
 this data if you search the net a bit. What you
 want is the data from a
 weather balloon
 launched from nearby and near the time of your rocket
 launch (along with stable weather over a few
 days). There was a paper on
 this floating
 around the net that I can't quickly locate -- Adrian or

 someone mentioned it a few years ago and it
 explained all this.

 Alternatively, you can launch your own device
 (gps and barometer) in a
 balloon and use
 that data. It probably can't be a previously launched

 *rocket* because the gps will lose tracking
 on the way up. Sigh....

 Then, of course, you have to consider the
 response time of your pressure
 sensor
 *system* which includes (among other things) the air hole in
 your
 electronics bay which you might want
 to consider (at least to the point
 of
 eliminating it as a factor) along with acoustic resonances,
 etc. And
 maybe factor in the effects of air
 temperature on the sensor &
 associated
 electronics.

 So, why not
 use accelerometer data instead? Well, that's no slam
 dunk,
 either. Start with the
 accuracy/resolution of the chip itself, then
 start adding up the errors in things like the
 A/D conversion, the
 voltage reference,
 etc.  However, you still need the atmospheric
 information because you need to calculate the
 drag which requires air
 density (which you
 will have to deduce from the pressure information).
 Adrian (IIRC) was trying to calculate apogee
 from accelerometer data and
 you just want
 to calculate force, which won't involve the same
 accumulation of error that an apogee calc
 would, but you'll still have
 plenty of
 other sources of error to put into your error budget.

 I don't mean to discourage
 you from tackling this--and you'll want a
 decent flight computer *anyway*--but you should
 know going in that if
 you expect super
 accuracy/resolution, it will involve a lot more than
 flying a few motors. You're going to need
 to create an acceptably
 accurate/precise
 *experimental system* in order to get really good motor
 measurements. That, of course, could be fun in
 and of itself.

  From the
 practical point of view of determining motor thrust
 profiles,
 however, after a while, the data
 from a static test starts looking
 better
 and better :-) At least it does to me. But, again, we do
 this
 stuff because it's fun and we
 learn a lot in the process. So carry on :-)

 --Steve