[sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests

  • From: "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:58:43 -0800

That's no moon, it's a space station.   lol I couldn't resist.  Thinking of the
instrumentation that's piling up.  But that's okay lots of hours of fun right?

 I have been thinking about the affects of acceleration on some of the
instrumentation.
My thought is on a barometer isolating and closing off the air intake, flying
it,
the taking readings just to see.  It may be a simple solution of direction it's
mounted.

 Looking at that balloon data blows you away when you see how much everything
changes even at lower altitudes.  Easy to see that there are some larger factors
at play than I certainly thought.   That in itself was an education.

 My wife will complain. "Not only are you working on rockets but you're wiring
up
some contraption, and now using all my cooking utensils."   Oh well. It's all
part
the fun.

 Thanks for all the discussion.  I better keep my mouth shut and talk more
sugar.
Okay, let me clarify that. lol Sugar motors.

Michael

 Subject: [sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests
 To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Monday, February 23, 2015, 6:31 PM

 I believe the Raven uses
 the Intersema ms5541c which is an all-in-one
 pressure sensor & ADC all temperature
 compensated. I just skimmed the
 online
 Raven doc and it says 0.1mbar accuracy (as does the ms5541c
 data
 sheet). The Raven doc mentions the
 Wyoming balloon data and as Shawn
 points
 out, you could always get your own pressure info on the way
 down.
 You'll need temperature to go
 along with it in order to get density info
 so there's a reason to dig out one of your
 Arduino boards.

 But
 it's interesting that Adrian says you can't trust
 the baro data
 during powered flight--that
 just tells you how tricky this stuff can be
 because I hadn't gotten to the point of
 even considering the effects of
 acceleration on the baro sensor. But it makes
 sense because to get 0.1
 mbar resolution
 means having a sensor that responds to very little
 force. I can certainly see how a few Gs (or
 more)  would overwhelm
 something that
 sensitive.

 To Shawn's
 question of obtaining air density from descent rate for a

 given parachute & mass: the Cd of a
 given parachute varies dramatically
 during
 descent because of the oscillation (like a pendulum) and
 because
 of the lateral movement. Descent
 times are notoriously difficult to
 predict
 because of that. So the short answer to the question is
 "no".
 Richard's site has some
 info on this (thus bringing it back to sugar
 rocketry :-)) which can be found at
 http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/paracon.html

 --Steve

 On
 02/23/2015 12:05 PM, Michael Monteith (Redacted sender
 michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx
 for DMARC) wrote:
 > Steve,
 >
 >    I actually
 didn't want to post it here as it was kind of off topic
 in the sense it wasn't
 > sugar
 propellants in the strict sense but it is in the sense of
 measuring results.  I
 > forgot to take
 out the group email and put Richards in it so we could
 discuss his
 > findings.  But that's
 okay as long as others don't mind.  I hate you
 can't un-send. lol

 >    But glad I did in a way
 too.   I think your last statement sums it up.
 It's fun and we
 >   learn
 a lot from it.

 >   Hey, if I don't like the
 limitations of the instrumentation I can build bigger and
 better.
 > Been there, done that too.
 Guess if nothing else it will give me an excuse to work
 > more with my Arduino boards. I'm used
 to digging through datasheets as sometimes
 >   that's the best way to
 find what is ideal for your specific use.   Guess
 I'll have to find
 > out from the 2
 altimeters I'm looking at which specific parts they
 use.

 >   For this part going in I just
 needed more of personal experience and what others have
 > already done to at least start off with
 and an altimeter setup that would suffice.
 > I love the fact EggTimer TRS  has gps and
 radio for tracking and for that price I get
 >   altimeter and tracking.
 Except I won't have accelerometer.  Then with the raven
 I have
 >   baro and accel but
 lose gps and radio.  If I had the money I'd just go
 with the Altus but
 > I love my marriage
 thanks. I'm much better off with a little here and
 there.

 >   Hey, if I have to do a
 tethered balloon to obtain comparison data it might be the
 way to go
 > actually.  I'd like to
 see that report you're talking about.

 >   Discouraged?  No Way.
 Challenged? Great!  Never know what might become of it..
 Nothing