[sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests

  • From: "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 07:43:10 -0800

Jon,
 I haven't decided yet.  First I need to know which pressure range.  But these
look
promising as they are very small and lightweight:
http://www.meas-spec.com/pressure-sensors/pressure-transducers-and-pressure-transmitters/miniature-pressure-transducers.aspx

 I'm thinking the EPRB-2.  I contacted them and see make sure they aren't to
pricey for my use.
which might be the case.  Don't know if you don't ask.

Michael

 Subject: [sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests
 To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:31 AM

 Which
 pressure sensor would you recommend for using during
 flights?
 On Feb 17, 2015 9:29 AM,
 "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 Great!
 Something non-trivial. lol I like that.  As one suggested
 using

 a pressure measurement on the chamber.  I found a very
 small one that would

 work.  Plus I do a lot of programming so that's a
 distinct possibility to work

 on.  All my books and all will be here in a month so I can
 tackle that more then.

 Now to decide which altimeter. lol   My to-do list is
 growing.  Thanks

  I'd like to make a contribution to rocketry as I know
 so many people have been so

 helpful to me. So much I've learned and so much to be
 learned.  That never grows old.

 Michael

 On Sun, 2/15/15, Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

  Subject: [sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through
 Flight Tests

  To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Date: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 7:11 PM

  Michael,

  The basics: if you have

  position (altitude) with respect to time, then

  the change in position over time is the

  velocity. The change in velocity

  with

  respect to time is acceleration. If you have the mass
 (at

  the same

  moment in time that you've

  calculated the acceleration for, then

  rearrange Mr. Newton's formula (F=ma) to

  get the net force. Any decent

  altimeter

  will give you altitude (to some precision/accuracy) vs.

  elapsed time (to some precision/accuracy).

  After that is when the

  gremlins get

  you....

  Altitude: change in

  altitude may not represent a true change in position

  (that is, distance) because the rocket may be

  headed off at an angle.

  You will have to

  either assume a certain angle of flight and calculate

  the true distance, or assume that it flew

  vertically (in which case the

  change in

  altitude is the change in distance).

  Mass: it isn't constant, so you'll have

  to calculate it based on the

  grain geometry

  and your static tests, etc. I don't know if any of

  Richard's spreadsheets list mass burned vs.

  time, but if they do, that

  would give you a

  good start, assuming your manufacturing is under tight

  enough control.

  OK, so you've calculated F--but hang on,

  because that's *net* F. That

  is, thrust

  minus the force of gravity and minus the force of drag.
 The

  force due to gravity is just g*mass and

  we've already dealt with mass.

  However,

  the force due to drag is more problematic. As you know,
 it

  consists of the Cd of the rocket (which

  will vary with velocity), the

  angle of

  attack, atmospheric conditions (launch pad altitude,

  altitude

  of the rocket at any instant in

  time, temperature, barometric pressure

  at

  launch, etc.) and, of course, the square of the
 velocity.

  Your question then becomes,

  will you know all that stuff with sufficient

  accuracy to give you a meaningful result? And

  will your altitude be

  accurate/precise

  enough to allow you to do all the math on it to get the

  acceleration with any kind of

  accuracy/precision?

   From

  what I recall, the Featherweight altimeters are about
 the

  most

  accurate/precise out there (although I

  would also check with the altus

  metrum guys

  because I've read that their stuff is pretty darned

  good,

  too). Both will record fast enough to

  get you data with short enough

  time

  intervals. I know Adrian Adamson (Featherweight) has done

  lot of

  study on this--you might check the

  Featherweight forum and also over on

  TRF.

  I should

  also mention that the Featherweight altimeters (or at
 least

  the

  Raven), and possibly the altus metrum

  products, will also provide

  acceleration

  data so that you don't have to do the double

  differentiation to calculate acceleration from

  altitude. I haven't

  looked into how

  accurate/precise it is, however. But you still have to

  know the atmospheric info and the aerodynamics

  of your rocket--and those

  two are usually

  the killers.

  A lot of

  people have looked into doing this and, as I recall,
 very

  few

  have managed to come up with anything

  that was very persuasive (and they

  were

  using commercial motors), although I am certainly no
 expert

  on this

  stuff. It's pretty easy

  (especially if you can program) to simulate a

  few data points and do the calcs to see what

  you come up with. Munge the

  altitude data a

  bit to simulate inaccuracies and see how much it throws

  off your answer. Vary the Cd by .1, .2, .3 or

  so and see what happens.

  Etc etc.

  You'll soon get a feel for just how hard this is.

  --Steve

  On

  02/15/2015 10:17 AM, Michael Monteith (Redacted sender

  michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx

  for DMARC) wrote:

  >   I hope

  this isn't off topic as it has to do with verifying

  motor performance really.  I was thinking on what I
 would

  need to verify rocket motor performance during a flight

  test.  So I was thinking of what would be the
 requirements

  to gather the data in flight.  There is so many
 altimeters

  and ranges of price.  Some show they output thrust
 time.

  But not sure exactly if it's what I'm thinking it
 is

  or I'd be better off getting one cheaper and
 calculating

  it.

  > http://data.rocketsetc.com/altimeter_data.html

  >   So to my

  question.  What data is required and how

  fast?   I see all the thrust curves for static

  testing but trying to figure out how you backtrack and

  figure from a flight test what the thrust curve is for

  comparison?  This is what I want to arrive at, a
 thrust

  curve for flight test vs thrust curve on static
 testing.

  > My initial guess is

  at least having time and altitude and having rocket
 mass

  etc.  From there you can calculate acceleration etc
 and

  arrive at thrust.  I don't want to think of the
 formula

  right now for this.  It might be in my pile of books
 but

  those are boxed up in Missouri and won't see them
 for

  about a month now.  But don't recall anything like

  that.

  >   I figured I might as well buy

  the right recording altimeter to begin with.  I
 don't

  mind spending the money but only if I do it preferably
 once

  and right.  Specifically the right data, accurate, and
 the

  right speed.  I think the more time I spent on it the
 more

  confused I was with all the options on them all.  At
 least

  until I know the bare minimum.   I don't know

  if anyone has gone down this road or not. I saw Richard
 made

  mention on one of his pages that it was something for a

  future page.

  > If we

  need to take it offline feel free to email me.