[sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests

  • From: Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:12:35 -0800

Ohhhhhh....I think I just got it. You're going to use the load cell to measure drag force and the accelerometer will get you the rest of it. Is that it?

--Steve

On 02/24/2015 08:09 AM, Steve Peterson wrote:
Hey Bill,

I don't believe this removes drag from the equation. Here's my thinking:

Consider the rocket sitting (before launch) on the launch pad with the motor itself being supported by the launch pad. The non-motor portion of the rocket is pressing down on the load cell with constant force due to the mass of the non-motor portion of the rocket being accelerated by gravity. Now consider what the reading would be if you pressed your hand down on the nose cone--the reading would increase and if you varied the pressure of your hand the reading would likewise vary.

When the rocket is flying, the load cell is being pushed back against the motor by the mass of the non-motor portion of the rocket, but, now, instead of your hand adding to that force, drag is adding to that force. Since drag varies with the square of the velocity, so the reading will vary due to the varying drag force just as it did when you pressed with your hand.

Thus, to establish the net force (thrust) due to the motor, I think we'd still need to know the drag force.
--Steve

On 02/24/2015 05:26 AM, Bill Kuker wrote:
How about a load cell between the motor and airframe plus an accelerometer? That would just leave the changing mass of the fuel to account for.

Bill

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:53 AM, Andrej Vrbec <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Air density was routinely measured in 50's and 60's by a falling
    sphere method. See here for example:

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/70398/JAPIAU-27-7-706-1.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y
    Andrej

    *From:* "shawn.mchatten@xxxxxxxxxxx