[sugpro] Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests

  • From: "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 10:17:58 -0800

 I hope this isn't off topic as it has to do with verifying motor performance
really.  I was thinking on what I would need to verify rocket motor performance
during a flight test.  So I was thinking of what would be the requirements to
gather the data in flight.  There is so many altimeters and ranges of price.
Some show they output thrust time.  But not sure exactly if it's what I'm
thinking it is or I'd be better off getting one cheaper and calculating it.
http://data.rocketsetc.com/altimeter_data.html

 So to my question.  What data is required and how fast?   I see all the thrust
curves for static testing but trying to figure out how you backtrack and figure
from a flight test what the thrust curve is for comparison?  This is what I
want to arrive at, a thrust curve for flight test vs thrust curve on static
testing.

My initial guess is at least having time and altitude and having rocket mass
etc.  From there you can calculate acceleration etc and arrive at thrust.  I
don't want to think of the formula right now for this.  It might be in my pile
of books but those are boxed up in Missouri and won't see them for about a
month now.  But don't recall anything like that.

 I figured I might as well buy the right recording altimeter to begin with.  I
don't mind spending the money but only if I do it preferably once and right.
Specifically the right data, accurate, and the right speed.  I think the more
time I spent on it the more confused I was with all the options on them all.
At least until I know the bare minimum.   I don't know if anyone has gone down
this road or not. I saw Richard made mention on one of his pages that it was
something for a future page.

If we need to take it offline feel free to email me.

Michael Monteith