[sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests

  • From: "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 07:29:31 -0800

Great! Something non-trivial. lol I like that.  As one suggested using
a pressure measurement on the chamber.  I found a very small one that would
work.  Plus I do a lot of programming so that's a distinct possibility to work
on.  All my books and all will be here in a month so I can tackle that more
then.
Now to decide which altimeter. lol   My to-do list is growing.  Thanks

 I'd like to make a contribution to rocketry as I know so many people have been
so
helpful to me. So much I've learned and so much to be learned.  That never
grows old.

Michael

 Subject: [sugpro] Re: Verifying Motor Performance Through Flight Tests
 To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 7:11 PM

 Michael,

 The basics: if you have
 position (altitude) with respect to time, then
 the change in position over time is the
 velocity. The change in velocity
 with
 respect to time is acceleration. If you have the mass (at
 the same
 moment in time that you've
 calculated the acceleration for, then
 rearrange Mr. Newton's formula (F=ma) to
 get the net force. Any decent
 altimeter
 will give you altitude (to some precision/accuracy) vs.
 elapsed time (to some precision/accuracy).
 After that is when the
 gremlins get
 you....

 Altitude: change in
 altitude may not represent a true change in position
 (that is, distance) because the rocket may be
 headed off at an angle.
 You will have to
 either assume a certain angle of flight and calculate
 the true distance, or assume that it flew
 vertically (in which case the
 change in
 altitude is the change in distance).

 Mass: it isn't constant, so you'll have
 to calculate it based on the
 grain geometry
 and your static tests, etc. I don't know if any of
 Richard's spreadsheets list mass burned vs.
 time, but if they do, that
 would give you a
 good start, assuming your manufacturing is under tight
 enough control.

 OK, so you've calculated F--but hang on,
 because that's *net* F. That
 is, thrust
 minus the force of gravity and minus the force of drag. The

 force due to gravity is just g*mass and
 we've already dealt with mass.
 However,
 the force due to drag is more problematic. As you know, it

 consists of the Cd of the rocket (which
 will vary with velocity), the
 angle of
 attack, atmospheric conditions (launch pad altitude,
 altitude
 of the rocket at any instant in
 time, temperature, barometric pressure
 at
 launch, etc.) and, of course, the square of the velocity.

 Your question then becomes,
 will you know all that stuff with sufficient
 accuracy to give you a meaningful result? And
 will your altitude be
 accurate/precise
 enough to allow you to do all the math on it to get the
 acceleration with any kind of
 accuracy/precision?

  From
 what I recall, the Featherweight altimeters are about the
 most
 accurate/precise out there (although I
 would also check with the altus
 metrum guys
 because I've read that their stuff is pretty darned
 good,
 too). Both will record fast enough to
 get you data with short enough
 time
 intervals. I know Adrian Adamson (Featherweight) has done a
 lot of
 study on this--you might check the
 Featherweight forum and also over on
 TRF.

 I should
 also mention that the Featherweight altimeters (or at least
 the
 Raven), and possibly the altus metrum
 products, will also provide
 acceleration
 data so that you don't have to do the double
 differentiation to calculate acceleration from
 altitude. I haven't
 looked into how
 accurate/precise it is, however. But you still have to
 know the atmospheric info and the aerodynamics
 of your rocket--and those
 two are usually
 the killers.

 A lot of
 people have looked into doing this and, as I recall, very
 few
 have managed to come up with anything
 that was very persuasive (and they
 were
 using commercial motors), although I am certainly no expert
 on this
 stuff. It's pretty easy
 (especially if you can program) to simulate a
 few data points and do the calcs to see what
 you come up with. Munge the
 altitude data a
 bit to simulate inaccuracies and see how much it throws
 off your answer. Vary the Cd by .1, .2, .3 or
 so and see what happens.
 Etc etc.
 You'll soon get a feel for just how hard this is.

 --Steve

 On
 02/15/2015 10:17 AM, Michael Monteith (Redacted sender
 michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx
 for DMARC) wrote:
 >   I hope
 this isn't off topic as it has to do with verifying
 motor performance really.  I was thinking on what I would
 need to verify rocket motor performance during a flight
 test.  So I was thinking of what would be the requirements
 to gather the data in flight.  There is so many altimeters
 and ranges of price.  Some show they output thrust time.
 But not sure exactly if it's what I'm thinking it is
 or I'd be better off getting one cheaper and calculating
 it.
 > http://data.rocketsetc.com/altimeter_data.html
 >
 >   So to my
 question.  What data is required and how
 fast?   I see all the thrust curves for static
 testing but trying to figure out how you backtrack and
 figure from a flight test what the thrust curve is for
 comparison?  This is what I want to arrive at, a thrust
 curve for flight test vs thrust curve on static testing.

 > My initial guess is
 at least having time and altitude and having rocket mass
 etc.  From there you can calculate acceleration etc and
 arrive at thrust.  I don't want to think of the formula
 right now for this.  It might be in my pile of books but
 those are boxed up in Missouri and won't see them for
 about a month now.  But don't recall anything like
 that.

 >   I figured I might as well buy
 the right recording altimeter to begin with.  I don't
 mind spending the money but only if I do it preferably once
 and right.  Specifically the right data, accurate, and the
 right speed.  I think the more time I spent on it the more
 confused I was with all the options on them all.  At least
 until I know the bare minimum.   I don't know
 if anyone has gone down this road or not. I saw Richard made
 mention on one of his pages that it was something for a
 future page.

 > If we
 need to take it offline feel free to email me.