[SS2S-Main] Re: Digital scale load-cell design / instrumentation

  • From: vicente Alvero Zambrano <vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 09:09:09 +0100

So what option do you prefer?

From: mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:32:21 +0800
Subject: [SS2S-Main] Re: Digital scale load-cell design / instrumentation

The load cell itself has an analog output, and there are a number of integrated
circuits or modules to amplify and A/D convert the signal. Speed is typically
 between 10-100 samples per second, which should be sufficient. You are right
that bathroom scales are slow, but that’s not due to the load cell itself but
rather caused by the signal processing (averaging) in the display unit. You are
also right that a microcontroller
 is sufficient to collect the load cell data. The PC is merely for
display/storage/post processing.

Mattias

Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:41:23 +0100

maybe Richard, can design and build a load cell based on websites, and another
member of the electronic

From:
vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:36:17 +0100

I have not just knowledge of electronics, so this work should be made between
several members

To:
sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: monsieurboo@xxxxxxx

Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:11:34 -0500

It's been a few years since discussion of these digital-scale load cells was
ricocheting around the rocketry forums.  Naturally, I started by checking
Nakka's site -- he's got
 a very cool "built from scratch" strain-gage design but I couldn't find one
there that starts with a digital scale.  But here's a good starting point for
what you're talking about.  This one hooks up to a PC with a "COM port" USB
interface, and the author
 hand-rolled the electronics.

http://www.steeman.be/?p=192

Enjoy!

Mark L.

DC

Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:37:27 +0800

If you want to go even cheaper, load cells can be scavenged from cheap digital
kitchen/bathroom scales. It’s not too difficult to hook them up to a computer. I
 can probably help with the electronics, but not so much with the mechanical
part.

What would be the maximum force to be measured?

Mattias

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:30:00 -0600

From: richard.nakka@xxxxxxxxx

To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To design/build the instruments to measure motor thrust and chamber pressure.
We would have to do this on a "tight" budget.

R.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM, vicente Alvero Zambrano
<vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What kind of help with the instrumentation?