[SS2S-Main] Re: Digital scale load-cell design / instrumentation

  • From: monsieurboo@xxxxxxx
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:36:08 -0500 (EST)

Richard's not the horn-tooting type, so I'll do it for him.  This might be just
what you want to start with.

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/hydlc.html

Cheers,
Mark L.
DC

From: m.bindhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 22:48:12 +0800

Is the communication protocol  of a kitchen/bathroom scale load cell analog or
digital? 2000N should be the max. what a bathroom scale could measure (approx
200 kg). Sampling rate would be interesting and important too. Most bathroom
scales are very slow. However, it is pretty easy to design according
electronics/data logger for it. You could do this embedded with a micro
controller and SD card, you don't need a PC.

Markus

From: vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:41:23 +0100

maybe Richard, can design and build a load cell based on websites, and another
member of the electronic

From: vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:36:17 +0100

I have not just knowledge of electronics, so this work should be made between
several members

To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: monsieurboo@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:11:34 -0500

It's been a few years since discussion of these digital-scale load cells was
ricocheting around the rocketry forums.  Naturally, I started by checking
Nakka's site -- he's got a very cool "built from scratch" strain-gage design
but I couldn't find one there that starts with a digital scale.  But here's a
good starting point for what you're talking about.  This one hooks up to a PC
with a "COM port" USB interface, and the author hand-rolled the electronics.

http://www.steeman.be/?p=192

Enjoy!

Mark L.
DC

From: mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:37:27 +0800

If you want to go even cheaper, load cells can be scavenged from cheap digital
kitchen/bathroom scales. It’s not too difficult to hook them up to a computer.
I can probably help with the electronics, but not so much with the mechanical
part.

What would be the maximum force to be measured?

Mattias

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:30:00 -0600
From: richard.nakka@xxxxxxxxx
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To design/build the instruments to measure motor thrust and chamber pressure.
We would have to do this on a "tight" budget.

R.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM, vicente Alvero Zambrano
<vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What kind of help with the instrumentation?