[SI-LIST] Re: decoupling

  • From: "Grossman, Brett" <brett.grossman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:46:44 -0700

Been detached for a while as I relocated to a new state that for the time
being has power all the time, but is somewhat low on water.

I haven't been following this entire thread, and may have missed the essence
of the discussion,  but I assume that it is more specifically targeting
CPU's and high power ASIC's with relatively complex ceramic or organic
package substrates, large currents with transient event times on the order
of > ~0.5 nS. If I understand the arguments it seems these devices would
need boatloads of localized on device decoupling to manage transient
activity at > 100 MHz?

Curious if this same methodology would apply to something like a Sonet TIA
in a CSP, or a RF PA in a flip-chip package? In designs utilizing these
devices I generally see fairly small value components on the order of 100's
of pF utilized for on-board decoupling. To a first order I would imagine it
is intended to provide power decoupling at frequencies that could exceed
100MHz, but I could be completely off my rocker.

Any comments welcome.

-Brett

I find the water shortage issue somewhat perplexing as I had been told it
rains all the time in Oregon. As an interesting bit of trivia I recently
discovered a rainfall map of US the for the summer months that showed Oregon
having on the order of 10" of rain between May 1st and October 1st.
Conversely my home state of Minnesota receives about 2.5-3 times that amount
in the same period. I guess 'rains all the time' like many things is matter
of perspective?