[SI-LIST] Re: decoupling

  • From: Zhiping Yang <zhiping@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:13:17 -0700

Hi Steve,

You are right. I should use available or effective capacitance in my statement.

I definitely agree that the board stackup is critical in high speed design.
Thanks.

Actually this is also the reason behind my suggestion #3. At high
frequency(>400Mhz),
the local decoupling capacitor will not be effective anymore. The build-in
capacitance between PWR and GND provides most transite current at high
frequency,
so it is better that the vias directly connect PWR/GND pins to PWR/GND planes.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Zhiping

Zhiping