[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: trash-bitches and puppies

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:35:09 EST

In a message dated 3/23/2006 8:46:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sally@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  kennels may be clean , well run etc but what happens to the puppies when

they leave via a semi truck at a young age to be transported all over the
country into pet shops where they are put into cages to awaite sale.   maybe
for months This is wrong-

I get sick over hog confinement  systems, large dairy farms where the cows
are bred only to have the babies  taken away immediately , so they produce
more milk and the worst of the  group the large chicken farms.

We attempt to place our dogs in good  responsible homes-  how can this happen
in mass  production

sally

It can't.  I see it as the lesser of other evils, though.  I get  numerous
calls from wonderful companion homes looking for puppies.  What  these folks
have to go through to replace a much loved dog is unbelievable in  many cases.
When they do contact a "reputable breeder", as  they have  been told to do,
they are often told they have to wait, then when the puppies  are born, they
have
to grow out a bit, IF there is something for them they have  to select from
what the reputable breeder doesn't want, there are contracts will  all sorts of
stuff, most unenforceable anyway, all things I understand, but put  yourself
in the place of someone whose arms are empty and whose child is nagging  for a
new puppy...

(Don't believe me?  A month ago a bitch puppy of mine went to a lovely  home.
 The family had been waiting since a bitch was bred in August   of last year
from a well known kennel, the puppies were born, they wanted a  bitch but were
told they could only have one of  the two non-coated bitches  IF their bites
didn't improve by 3-4 months or they were welcome to a coated  puppy at 8
weeks.  Huh?  They gave up on that particular litter, but  they started looking
year before they finally had their arms filled with a  bundle of fur, with a
correct bite BTW, not that it mattered to these folks,  lol.  A year, AND a
run-around to boot.)

IF potential owners don't go that route, there are backyard breeders and
puppy mills.  Often you'll hear they felt sorry for the puppies and felt  they
were "rescuing" one.

Then of course there are State laws and health guarantees that apply, in
most cases, to people who sell over a certain # of puppies/dogs.  Here, if  the
"reputable breeder" (GASP!) or back yard breeder who may fall below the  limit
sells a problem puppy, what is the recourse for the new puppy  buyer?  Good
will?

So, no, a large volume commercial breeder selling without home checks etc.,
isn't my idea of utopia, far from it.  As long as they are clean, well run
and the dogs are healthy and vet checked, I do put them above several of   the
alternatives mentioned above though and I'm pragmatic enough to know that  when
someone looking for a companion puppy is really looking, they will do
whatever they have to do to fill empty arms.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_