[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Mills (was trash-bitches and puppies)

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:36:48 EST

In a message dated 3/23/2006 9:33:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
So what  is a puppy mill?

Is it someone who breeds a lot of pups every  year?  Or could it be  someone
who studs their top male out 200+  times each year?  Surely they are  not
being
very  discriminating.  Top dogs who are being bred to in the 100s  of  times
every year.  These breedings are not necessarily show  breedings,  or we
would see
those pups at the futurities and  nationals.  These  breedings are done with
money as a  motivator.

Does this not count also as puppy mills?  Or do we  justify this by  saying
these are pure breed dogs, done by top  breeders?  Do we  not complain about
some
of these pure breed  dog breeders whose facilities are in  less than
desirable
conditions?  Whose pups always have coccidia, giardhia,  dogs  are always
getting their ears bitten off, suffering  injuries?

Remember the arguments weeks ago, how many dogs are too many  dogs?  4  - 12
-
60???  Can 1 or 2 people take care of 50+  dogs everyday?  I  don't think so.
Sure they will be scooped and  fed, but that isn't enough.   Shelters do that
everyday, that's  why people rescue the dogs out  of  shelters !!!  Let's be
careful, we are risking sounding a little  hypocritical.

Yes,  there are puppy mills out there, and they meet the demand of
uneducated
buyers, who think NOTHING about paying $1,200.  for a   LabraDoodle.  I have
client with a GoldenDoodle who paid $1,500 for  the  pup.  Bought this pup
off
the road, the sellers happily met  her half way.  She will NOT deal with
breeders, they are too neurotic  for her.

Like Amy, I think we need to take a look at this situation and  see if we
can
make it work for the breed.  It could be this  person just wants a  "ribbon
winning sire" for his breedings.   It could be he can be turned  around for
the
good cause.  It  could be he could care less about  associating himself with
people  who already made up their minds about him.

It all goes back to  EDUCATION, ETHICS AND BETTERMENT OF THE  BREED.

Ileana

WELL said;)

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_