[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx, tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 05:42:44 -0700 (PDT)

What has driven a large wedge between performance of any kind and conformation
is the belief that dogs who show in conformation will be ruined if they know a
little obedience. I watch in amazement people handling their dogs getting them
ready for the conformation ring. The dogs pulling lunging on the leash like
crazy animal.  We watch our entries drop for the same reason. There are few
among us owners that can keep up with a dog for any distance at the speed and
style of which out dogs are shown. When folks figure out they can not be
competitive without having a handler they go on to performance. They get
involved with the training and feel more a part of the competition. They take
there Could Have Been Champions and make performance animals out of them. I
believe the GSD is better for it. We don't see to may over done animals in
conformation any more. There are a few but not many.

  As we get fewer and fewer handlers that can run to keep up with our breed
what do you think is going to happen to our entries at specialty shows? We can
see it already here in the west. With out hosting performance events our club
would not have survived.

  If it takes 16 dogs and 17 bitches to make a 3 point major and all of the
dogs are adults that are entered then the club has 825 dollars to work with.
You can't put on too much of a show for 825.00

  You add rally obedience and obedience you make money. If you can host agility
trails you will make even more money. With that income the specialty clubs can
continue to host specialty shows. With that in mind I always talk to the people
at the obedience trials and encourage them to attend our trials I make sure
they have plenty of pictures to choose from and if they ask I will try to
explain conformation to them. Who knows maybe I will encourage them to come
watch and learn.

  Terry

RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx wrote:
  When I first started in this Breed it was in obedience. I realized very
quickly that this was not going to cut it for me. Too much damn work! For
those who love and enjoy this part of our sport, I take my hat off to you.
Enjoy
to your hearts content. Back in the day (40+yrs) the German Shepherds
exhibited in obedience were, to say the least, lacking in proper conformation.
This has changed somewhat. Did I say somewhat? Yes I did. I have never made
it my agenda to correct the thinking of the people in this sport, unless
asked.
What really gets to me is the cavalier way some in the sport of obedience
use this list to degrade conformation dogs. Now it is temperament, yesterday
it was something else. I believe both venues need improvement. Fix your
problems, then come talk to me! When we fix all of our problems, I'll come talk
to you.

Randy C.
P.S. By the way is this still a CONFORMATION list?

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?