[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx, fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:05:29 +0000

Which leads me to another topic/story........... Last year I visited in the
home of two sisters in Holland who breed/show GSDs.   The houses there are very
small due to land costs but they build UP!  The house was maybe 1000 square
feet per level and when we walked in there were TEN German Shepherds in the
house.  They ranged in age from about 8 years of age down to about 10 months.
Two males [either litter mates or repeat breedings about a year apart] and
eight girls.  The boys had a small [maybe 24 inch] baby gate between them
because one of the girls was coming into season.  Either of them could have
stepped over it but they respected the barrier.  We werren't rushed when we
walked in - they were told it was OK for us to be there.  After we settled in,
the came up one or two at a time to say hello [since we were guests] and
immediately dismissed us.  I was amazed to say the least.
They actually have two runs in the back patio area - one for puppies [bitch
with litter] and one for EVERYONE ELSE [all at one time].   Talk about a
pack.....

My comment to Randy's post is this....... maybe when breeders get it thorough
their thick skulls and stop saying "Oh well if he can't cut it in breed he'll
make a great obedience prospect"  [And we've seen it over and over even on this
list as folks advertise 'obedience' prospects] we would have more dogs that can
go in both rings in breed AND in obedience.

--
Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com